As part of our Ignition grant scheme, the CBA may fund Honours Awards for either the January or mid-year intake of honours students. We will also consider funding for Masters students' projects.
A new round of Ignition Grants will open in September 2020.
Our main goal with this funding is to facilitate ANU and UC students spending time in CSIRO labs, providing valuable exposure to CSIRO scientists and research.
Up to $10,000 may be awarded (including up to a $5000 stipend).
You may already have a potential student in mind or we can help advertise the project.
- Uncovering the hare microbiome (Masters)
- Bill adaptation in parrots: finding loci involved in surface area increases by integrating morphometrics with Next Gen Sequencing (Honours)
- Will polyploidy provide a reproductive advantage in a changing climate? A test case with Themeda triandra (Kangaroo grass) (Honours)
Ecogenomics and Bioinformatics Lab (EBL)
The EBL is a joint initiative of ANU and CSIRO to support training and collaboration, including Ignition project work. The lab, in the Research School of Biology at ANU, includes experimental and computational facilities for both data generation and data analysis. Further information about the EBL can be found here.
Projects should have a biodiversity science focus (evolutionary biology, population and ecosystem ecology, genomics, bioinformatics, and/or spatial modelling) and allow for students to have considerable engagement with both their university and CSIRO labs.
The student will need to be enrolled and supervised at one of our partner universities (ANU or UC) and be co-supervised by at least one CSIRO researcher.
Information on honours programs:
- The Research School of Biology (ANU)
- The Fenner School of Envionment & Society (ANU)
- The Institute of Applied Ecology (UC)
How to apply
We invite you to submit to firstname.lastname@example.org a short proposal (~2 pages or less) that includes:
- Project title
- Institution where student will be enrolled
- Supervisors' details
- Project outline
- Potential policy and/or management links
- Intellectual property and confidentiality
Applications will be assessed by the CBA Director and Liaison Committee.
Due COB 15 November 2019
We would like to recieve a copy of the student's thesis abstract on submission and an expenditure report (a simple spreadsheet is fine). We also expect that the student will present at one of our Ignition Grant Symposiums if possible.
We would also like to know if the project resulted in any publications, future collaborations/ co-supervision, or had any applied outcomes - e.g. management, policy.