Each year the CBA funds a number of small pilot projects, called Ignition projects.
These aim to 'kick-start' novel ANU-CSIRO collaborative research, with the intention that the results will subsequently form the basis of more substantial research proposals and collaborations.
We welcome innovative and creative proposals from research scientists, post docs and PhD students.
Past and currently funded Ignition projects can be found here.
Ecogenomics and Bioinformatics Lab (EBL)
The EBL is a joint initiative of ANU and CSIRO to support training and collaboration across the two institutions, including Ignition project work. The lab, in the Research School of Biology at ANU, includes experimental and computational facilities for both data generation and data analysis. Further information about the EBL can be found here.
Other CBA funding opportunities
In addition to Ignition project funding, the CBA will also support visiting scientists who, during their time in Canberra, will present a workshop and/or seminar.
We also provide training support to CBA-affiliated post docs and PhD students to undertake ECR-led training activities.
An Ignition project should incorporate evolutionary biology, genomic, bioinformatic and/or spatial modelling concepts and techniques.
All proposals must show a direct, and genuine, collaboration between at least one member of an ANU and a CSIRO research group. New collaborations are especially welcome.
Group leaders, postdocs and/or PhD students may be included on up to two project submissions per funding round.
CBA Ignition grants may fund:
- sample preparation
- technical salaries
- honours projects (including stipends - see here for more information on honours funding)
How to apply
We invite you to submit (to email@example.com) a short proposal (~2 pages) that includes:
- Project title
- ANU and CSIRO collaborators' names, affiliations and email addresses
- Brief project outline
- Expected project timeline (including approximate commencement and completion dates)
- Itemised budget (including other funding sources and up to $10,000 from CBA)
- Potential policy and/or management applications
- Intellectual property and confidentiality (we are required by the ANU-CSIRO CBA Umbrella Agreement to identify any pre-existing IP or confidential data involved in CBA-supported projects)
We would like a progress update of your project at the 6 month mark and a final report of your results on completion of your project. We also expect that you will present at one of our Ignition Grant Symposiums.
In addition to the final report, we would also like to know if the Ignition grant program has been of value to you and your work? Specifically, did your project result in any:
- New grant applications and/or successful funding
- New co-supervised students (summer students, Hons or PhD)
- Applied outcomes - e.g. management, policy
- New interactions/ collaborations with scientists, from both within and outside your institution
* Please note: as part of our ANU-CSIRO CBA Umbrella Agreement, all manuscripts arising from CBA funding need to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for review by the CBA Liaison Committee prior to submission.