As part of our Ignition grant scheme, the CBA may fund Honours awards for either the January or mid-year intake of honours students.
Our main goal with this funding is to facilitate ANU honours students spending time in CSIRO labs, providing valuable exposure to CSIRO scientists and research.
- Bill adaptation in parrots: finding loci involved in surface area increases by integrating morphometrics with Next Gen Sequencing
- Will polyploidy provide a reproductive advantage in a changing climate? A test case with Themeda triandra (Kangaroo grass)
Ecogenomics and Bioinformatics Lab (EBL)
The EBL is a joint initiative of ANU and CSIRO to support training and collaboration across the two institutions, including Ignition project work. The lab, in the Research School of Biology at ANU, includes experimental and computational facilities for both data generation and data analysis. Further information about the EBL can be found here.
The proposed project should incorporate evolutionary biology, genomic, bioinformatic and/or spatial modelling concepts and techniques.
As with all of CBA's Ignition Projects, the honours project must show a direct and genuine collaboration between at least one member of an ANU and a CSIRO research group. New collaborations are especially welcome.
The honours student will need to be enrolled at ANU and co-supervised by at least one ANU researcher and one CSIRO researcher. You may have a potential student in mind or you can advertise the project if you receive funding.
Proposed projects must allow for students to have considerable engagement with both their ANU and CSIRO labs.
Applications will be assessed by the CBA Director and Liaison Committee.
How to apply
Please submit to email@example.com a short proposal (~2 pages) that includes the following:
- Project title
- CSIRO and ANU supervisors (names, affiliations and email addresses)
- Project outline (including a brief budget and potential start date)
- Potential policy and/or management applications
- Intellectual property and confidentiality (we are required by the ANU-CSIRO CBA Agreement to identify any pre-existing IP or confidential data involved in CBA-supported projects)
We would like to recieve a copy of the student's thesis abstract on submission and an expenditure report (a simple spreadsheet is fine). We also expect that the student will present at one of our Ignition Grant Symposiums if possible.
We would also like to know if the project resulted in any publications*, future collaborations/ co-supervision, or had any applied outcomes - e.g. management, policy.
* Please note: as part of our ANU-CSIRO CBA Umbrella Agreement, all manuscripts arising from CBA funding need to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for review by the CBA Liaison Committee prior to submission.