Geneious is a DNA, RNA and protein sequence alignment, assembly and analysis software platform, integrating bioinformatic and molecular biology tools into a simple interface. The workshop will provide a brief introduction to the basics and then move on to more advanced/novel features. Thus, it will be assumed that participants have a basic knowledge of Geneious.
The training docs for the workshop can be found here
You will need to attend the workshop with a recent version of Geneious (5.6 or later) installed on your own laptop. If you do not have a Geneious license there is a unrestricted 14-day free trial available. Download Geneious here.
- pairwise alignment (both DNA and Protein alignments, covers dotplot interpretation, sequence manipulation, etc)
- multiple alignment (both DNA and Protein alignments, covers using the different algorithms, and using Geneious’s visualisation tools to find patterns of homology)
- neighbour joining (will mention other available algorithms)
- interpreting the tree view and distance matrix view
- whole genome reference mapping with paired-end data, and variant calling
- primer design, primer testing, primer databases, extracting PCR products
- setting up and connecting to a LIMS database
- entering reactions
- binning trace files by quality
- trimming and sequence assembly
- taxonomy verification
- reporting and troubleshooting
The workshop is FREE, but you need to register with Mitzy Pepper by 3 April 2013.