The RSB Computational Biology and Bioinformatics Unit (CBBU) and Biological Data Science Institute (BDSI) are organizing workshops for students and staff from JCSMR, RSB, and The Fenner School. Participants from outside of the three schools will be accepted if there are places available on an individual basis.
The workshops are offered at no cost. Number of places is limited to approx. 15. We invite all Students and Staff (including Academics) to register. To sign up please fill up and submit this form no later than Thursday, 2 May. Information about granted places will be emailed to your email address on Friday, 3 May. Please be aware that by signing up you are committing to attend and participate in the chosen workshops. Before signing up students (Master/Honours and PhD) and Postdocs are requested to obtain approval from their lab leaders or supervisors.
* Please note that this workshop requires basic knowledge of R.
- Structure of an experiment: response, treatment factors, blocking factors.
- Introduction to the Statistical Model: Mean Structure (including Factorial models), Variance (blocking) structure.
- Planning your experiment: sample size estimation, identifying sources of variation, randomised complete Block, Split Plot, incomplete block designs.
- Data collection and Data Analysis: Exploring data (graphics and data summaries), review of data structures, linear models.
- Practice in fitting linear and generalised linear mixed models to data using R. Interpreting and assessing model assumptions.
- Workflows for high-throughput data analyses, e.g. gene expression from RNASeq.